Pages

Thursday 13 July 2017

Day #6: Native Aotearoa


Welcome to Day #6 of your journey and the last day in the south island. You are going to start the day by traveling 63 km north up State Highway 1 from Dunedin to a place called ‘Shag Point.’ Shag Point is one of five places in the south island where the Maori arrived hundreds of years ago to settle in New Zealand. They arrived at Shag Point in large canoes called ‘wakas.’ For more information on Shag Point and other Maori landing places, go to the Waka landing places website.
Activity 1: Let’s imagine that you were on the first waka to arrive at Shag Point. You had never been to New Zealand before and you had no idea what to expect. Write a poem describing how you would have felt when you arrived in New Zealand. Would you have been excited or scared? I would have felt pretty nervous, I reckon…
I would be excited because when I go to new places I get excited. Like for example I went to America and I was excited because I have never been to America and there is lots of fantastic places in America.
Activity 2: After visiting Shag Point, you hop back in the van and drive all the way up the east coast of the south island until you reach the town of Picton. You get out of the van and onto the Interislander ferry. It travels back across the Cook Strait to Wellington. Wellington is the capital city of New Zealand and every winter the city hosts a huge Matariki festival to celebrate the Maori New Year. This year part of the festival is being held at Te Papa, a big museum in Wellington.
1 Christmas because its the most favourite event in my life because 1 the birth of Jesus. 2 the holidays 3 we get presents.
2 My birthday because its my day to have the day that I have been born in. I get sweets presents and even a party.
3 Easter because I like the Easter eggs and we go church so thats what I like. I like going to church on Easter because I get to altar serve
Bonus Activity: As part of the Matariki festival, there is a two day Kapa Haka competition. The haka is a traditional war dance that Maori performed before going into battle. The haka is now performed by children/adults in the community and by professional sporting teams, including our national rugby team, the ‘All Blacks.’  The All Blacks have performed various haka over the years. Watch the following three haka videos (1 – 3) and, on your blog, list the haka videos in order from best (#1) to worst (#3). There are no right or wrong answers ☺
1 The France one because they have more action and more moves. And they have great voices
2 The South Africa one because I dont like some bits because they have 50% of there actions.
3 The Argentina one because there is 30% of action and there is just the normal haka but I still like the haka by the way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Etuale, I'm reading your blogs from my home in Canada. I'm very impressed that you've chosen to be part of the blogging program during your school break. Good for you!

    You've given some interesting reasons for choosing the haka performed by the New Zealand team when they played against France. You obviously watched all 3 hakas very carefully and then made your choices.

    Do you know how to perform a haka? Do you play on any teams that do a haka before they begin a game?

    I also enjoyed your video in which you shared your research information about the Moa. We don't have any birds like that in Canada. Each country is so unique and so interesting. I think that yours is particularly beautiful - I'm sure you think so too.

    I hope you're enjoying the blogging program and that you'll keep on with the activities.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Etuale,

    I really like how you've added your reasons for where you placed the three haka videos. Would you mind adding the links to each haka video? Just so the reader can understand what you mean by your reasoning. I agree with Leslie, you must've watched them carefully before making your decisions.

    Have a great rest of the holidays. I hope the bad weather subsides!

    -Willy

    ReplyDelete