Pages

Monday 17 December 2018

Day 1: In the Beginning....

DAY 1: In the Beginning...

Activity 1: The Legend of New Zealand [4 points]

According to Māori mythology, much of Aotearoa New Zealand was formed when Māui, a powerful demigod, fished it out of the sea. Legend has it that Māui created a magical fish hook from the jawbone of his grandmother and that one day he took his hook, boarded a boat, and rode out into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Once at sea, he threw his magical hook into the water and caught a fish. This ‘fish’ was actually the North Island of New Zealand! In honour of this legend, the North Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Ika a Māui or ‘Māui’s fish’ and the South Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Waka a Māui or ‘Māui’s canoe’.

TOP 3 FUN FACTS ABOUT NZ!
Fun fact number 1: Gisborne is the first city in the world to see the sunrise because it is 496.3 kilometres away from the International Date Line. This is my top 3 fun fact about New Zealand because I did not know that Gisborne is the first to see the sunrise in the whole world. As soon as I read the whole text I could not believe it, so I decided to choose this shocking text for my top 3 fun facts about N.Z. 

Fun fact number 2: Dairy farmers produce a whopping 100 kg of butter and 65 kg of cheese each year for each person living in New Zealand. I chose this as my number 2 fun fact because I did not know that Dairy farmers produce 100 kg of butter and 65 kg of cheese I was so shocked as soon when I caught my eye on the shocking fact. I imagined that all the dairy farmers in N.Z making 100 kg of butter an 65 kg of cheese so I would see the total now of how much all of the dairy farmers in N.Z would add up their total of butter and cheese.

Fun fact number 3: It is one of the three countries in the world that has two official national anthems of equal standing.  The first is God Save the Queen and the other is God Defend New Zealand. I was amazingly shocked when I just read that we are one of the three countries that has 2 official national anthems. I did not know that we had England's God Save the Queen national anthem.



Activity 2: North and South [4 points]
The country of New Zealand is made up of two main islands – the North Island and the South Island. Approximately 77% of the New Zealand population live in the North Island. Many of these people (including our Summer Learning Journey design team) live in Auckland city. Auckland is a great place to live with lots of amazing parks, beautiful waterways and stunning scenery to enjoy. It is also a busy, vibrant city with many cafes, museums, galleries and theatres to visit. I feel lucky to call Auckland my ‘hometown.’
Now it is time to think about your hometown. What is special about where you live? On your blog, describe your hometown. Be sure to include lots of describing words (adjectives) in your post.
What is special about your hometown and why it is your special hometown.
I live in the wonderful city of New Zealand, Auckland. I like the pools in Auckland such as the Henderson wave pools, their pools are so amazing that at the end of the pool is like the height of the Auckland sky tower and the waves are so fun. But caution never eat then go in the pools while the waves are on. I love that G.I (favourite suburb in G.I) has the right people I expect everyday. I get along with all my favourite friends.
Activity 3: Ice, Ice Baby [10 points]
Antarctica is the world’s coldest continent. Even though it is made up of ice, it is also the driest continent in the world. In fact, it hasn’t rained there for nearly 2 million years! It is home to many animals such as whales, seals, birds, and fish. There are no permanent human residents (people who live there all the time) in Antarctica, however scientists do visit and stay in Antarctica for a while to study it.
On your blog, make a copy of this footprint and, inside the footprint, explain how you create a positive, digital footprint. What do you do to stay smart online?.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Etuale,
    I really love those words that you have have to to be a good digital because it really shows that you know how to stay safe or smart online. Keep up the amazing work!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Etuale,
    I really like the way you wrote a paragraph for each fact you wrote about New Zealand. I also didn't know you going to blog as well. But besides that you are doing fantastic.

    Best Wishes
    From your Best Friend
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Etuale,
    You are doing a great job on blogging the Summer Learning Journey.
    I really like that you wrote a paragraph on how to stay safe online.
    You are doing are Great Job blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kia Ora Etuale

    My name is Izzy and I’m part of the Summer Learning Journey team. I have really enjoyed reading your first blog post of the year!

    How cool is it that our little country is the first to see the sunrise. I have only been to Gisborne once but I would like to go there and watch the sunrise one day. You have added some really great reasons as to why you picked these facts to be your favourite. I also started picturing all that cheese and butter. It got me thinking, how many kgs of butter do you think it would take to fill a classroom?

    The school I teach at is out by Henderson wave pools. Our class recently completed their Water Wise activities there. I know they had a great time. Auckland, New Zealand is a pretty great place to live. What are some of the other places you like to go in Auckland? What is it like living in G.I? What is the food like there? What are your neighbours like?

    You make some great points about how to have a positive and safe digital footprint. It’s so important to treat others on the internet with kindness and not give out too much personal information. Way to go!

    Bye for now,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to go of course Mac donalds, kfc, Cj's, and Bj's. My neighbors nearly had a brawl with my family but luckily my Mum stoped it by telling the cops she just graduated and she knows that there is lots of island men (my uncles) are going to make it even worse. So my answer they are bad and annoying.

      Delete
  6. I mean so answer is they are bad and annoyig

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malo Lelei Etuale,

    You have started of great, you are still continuing the great work.
    I love how you put the important words in capital letters in you smart digital footprint.

    Keep it up,
    Silia

    ReplyDelete