Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

Week One: In the beginning 1800-1870 + Bonus Activity

Activity 1: The First Settlers.

On your blog, post three facts that you learned about this interesting man. What other stories have you heard about Maui?

1: Maui's fishing hook is made from the Gods.

2: Maui has been brought up by the Gods.

3: Maui has made the sun slow down, because when ever Maui's brothers go out to fish the sun has set.

Activity 2: Setting Sail.


On your blog, write a short letter to a friend telling them about your voyage to New Zealand. In the letter be sure to tell them how you feel about moving to a new country. If it was me, I would have felt really nervous…

I have told my friend Laki I have said this...

Laki if I would move to a new country I would be terrified if there was breaking news of like a terror attack.

Bonus Activity: Waka Ama.

On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?

Why? It's cause that when you are rowing you have to row really fast and in the same beat. Then your arms hurt really really bad.

This is why I won't do a Waka Ama.




3 comments:

  1. Hey there Etuale, great to see you have been blogging!

    Thanks for completing a few activities, I hope you keep it up over the summer.

    It's great reading the three facts you have included about Maui. One of my favourites was how the fish that Maui pulled up was actually the North Island!
    Have you ever been fishing before? I get bored too quickly.

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Etuale,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced “Emily”) and I work alongside Billy at the Summer Learning Journey!

    Activity 2: I bet it was very scary for the people who first came to New Zealand! Can you imagine barely knowing anything about a new country and having to travel across the ocean in a small waka to get there? I also thing it would have been quite frightening! Something you could add to your letter is an opening and closing line. You could start your letter by saying "Dear Laki" and ending it with your name, "From your friend, Etuale". This will let the letter reader know that this letter is for them and who it is from.

    Bonus activity: I've never been part of a Waka Ama race, but I imagine kayaking to be quite similar. Yesterday, I was kayaking for only an hour and I've woken up with very sore shoulders, neck and arms. The rowing motion definitely uses a lot of arm and back strength! Have you kayaked before? Is there a sport you enjoy playing?

    It is great to see you have made a start to the Summer learning Journey! I know the Summer Learning Journey team have enjoyed reading and commenting on your blog. We can't wait to see what else you will blog!

    Noho ora mai,

    Emiely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Etuale,
    My name is Christopher
    I really like your interesting facts about Maui I really like your letter to my brother Laki I really like the way how you said there is a terror attack.
    Well done keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete